Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Welcome To My Web!

I really didn't think about this being a tale of Halloween horror, until I read the whole thing, and pictured the old fashioned tale of suspense, but the first lines of The Spider and The Fly came to mind when this young Miss came to live on the outside of one of my windows that is adjacent to the plant filled patio, and entrance to my garden. (she is eating a fly). .and why blogger is suddenly insisting on putting my photo horizontally, is a mystery to me!  But I digress. . .


She spun her orb web in late August, which covers the whole pane of glass.  When it rains, or gets too windy, she crawls to the safety up under the upper wooden ledge. The silken strands have withstood the elements and time.

She grew up, she mated, she had her young, and sadly, now that the temps are dropping. . .it is now 34 degrees, and we've had frost warnings for two nights, I'm afraid that her days as a valued friend to my garden, are coming to an end.

It seems strange to become fond of a garden spider through a pane of glass, but she has given me a daily glimpse into her life, and I thank her for doing her part in the cycle of life so well.  She captured a goodly share of pesky mosquitoes and flies, and for her dedication, I give her this poem:

The Spider and the Fly

Mary Howitt


Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there."
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again."


"I'm sure you must be weary, dear, with soaring up so high;
Will you rest upon my little bed?" said the Spider to the Fly.
"There are pretty curtains drawn around; the sheets are fine and thin,
And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in!"
Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "for I've often heard it said,
They never, never wake again, who sleep upon your bed!"


Said the cunning Spider to the Fly, " Dear friend what can I do,
To prove the warm affection I 've always felt for you?
I have within my pantry, good store of all that's nice;
I'm sure you're very welcome -- will you please to take a slice?"
"Oh no, no," said the little Fly, "kind Sir, that cannot be,
I've heard what's in your pantry, and I do not wish to see!"


"Sweet creature!" said the Spider, "you're witty and you're wise,
How handsome are your gauzy wings, how brilliant are your eyes!
I've a little looking-glass upon my parlour shelf,
If you'll step in one moment, dear, you shall behold yourself."
"I thank you, gentle sir," she said, "for what you 're pleased to say,
And bidding you good morning now, I'll call another day."


The Spider turned him round about, and went into his den,
For well he knew the silly Fly would soon come back again:
So he wove a subtle web, in a little corner sly,
And set his table ready, to dine upon the Fly.
Then he came out to his door again, and merrily did sing,
"Come hither, hither, pretty Fly, with the pearl and silver wing;
Your robes are green and purple -- there's a crest upon your head;
Your eyes are like the diamond bright, but mine are dull as lead!"


Alas, alas! how very soon this silly little Fly,
Hearing his wily, flattering words, came slowly flitting by;
With buzzing wings she hung aloft, then near and nearer drew,
Thinking only of her brilliant eyes, and green and purple hue --
Thinking only of her crested head -- poor foolish thing! At last,
Up jumped the cunning Spider, and fiercely held her fast.
He dragged her up his winding stair, into his dismal den,
Within his little parlour -- but she ne'er came out again!


And now dear little children, who may this story read,
To idle, silly flattering words, I pray you ne'er give heed:
Unto an evil counsellor, close heart and ear and eye,
And take a lesson from this tale, of the Spider and the Fly.

(and one has to wonder why so many children become afraid of spiders. .could learning this poem in grade school have any influence on impressive minds? Naaaah!)

Wishing you a spookily fun day!


2 comments:

  1. A friendship with a spider -- if that's not mindfulness, I don't know what is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Suz!! Your Orb Weaver is beautiful!! We had one outside of our kitchen window last year. We also enjoyed sitting at our kitchen table and watching lifes cycle unfold before our eyes. At the end of the summer we felt the same way as you, it was like an attachment a strange bond had been made between us the humans and mother nature, a connection that you wonder how many actually even notice these things. Maybe it comes as we grow ourselves. Of coarse it helps that I have a sister who loves all creepy and crawly kinds of things in nature, lol. Beautiful picture Suzie!! ((Big Hugs)) Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!