Saturday, May 8, 2010

Blog Crawl Bonus Blog/Candy Corn Treats!

This morning, as what I hope you will consider as a double treat, I wanted to share these delights with you at this tiny bit of syncronicity.

I was browsing through some past issues of Halloween magazines, and came across this recipe for some fun looking cookies:



Sparkling Candy Corn Cookies


1 Cup Butter, softened
1 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
2 Tblsp. Orange Juice
2 Teasp. freshly grated Orange Peel
1/8 Teasp. Salt
3 Cups Flour
1/2 Teasp. Baking Soda
Orange paste OR gel food coloring
Yellow paste OR gel food coloring
1/2 Cup Sugar

Line the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper or plastic food wrap; set aside.

Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy.  Add egg, orange juice, orange peel and salt. Continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.

Divide dough into thirds. Press one-third of white dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.

Place another one-third of the dough back into the mixing bowl. Add a small amount of orange food coloring; mix until color is well blended.

Press orange dough evenly over white dough in pan.

Place remaining one-third of dough into another medium bowl.  Add a small amount of yellow food coloring; mix until color is well blended.

Press yellow dough evenly over orange dough in pan.  Cover with plastic food wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl; set aside.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Invert loaf pan to remove dough. Peel off waxed paper or plastic wrap.

Place layered dough onto cutting surface. Cut loaf crosswise into 1/4 inch slices.

Using a sharp knife, trim edges to make even if necessary.  Lay slice on the flat side, and cut each slice into 6 wedges.  Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 7 - 10 minutes, or until the edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned.  Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet.

Immediately place warm cookies in bowl of sugar; roll in sugar to coat.

Place cookie onto cooking rack. After cooling completely, store in loosely covered container.

These cookies can be made ahead and stored in the freezer for up to 1 month. Store in container with tight-fitting lid.

But now where is the bonus blog? The bit of perfect timing? (I KNOW that some of her regular followers know where I'm heading!)  Over to Becca's delightful, upbeat Magikal Seasons blog!

While Becca makes her ornies and other treats for all seasons and holidays, she is now creating for upcoming Halloween again, and has just posted her Candy Corn creations!  Please click on the link and go see for yourself. You can't help but smile when you see them. Then scroll down. .meander through past posts. She puts that trademark face on all all of her pieces, and when she puts them together on a tree, you will burst out laughing. How wonderful to be able to create something that makes people feel SO good!

Oh. .and while it isn't a good idea to try and eat these candy corn pieces, they do last forever! No freezing necessary.


Mother Nature must be getting into the Halloween mood too. It is dark, very windy, wet, and on the chilly side, with the highs in the 40's, and frost tonight!  My favorite kind of weather, and an excellent day for baking cookies, to sample while decorating a Halloween tree tonight!

Wishing everyone your perfect day!

4 comments:

  1. I was reading this about the cookies thinking yep it is a perfect day to bake. Then I saw my Candy Corns! lol Thank you so much for the shout out my friend! Oh and I love this blog look puts me in the right mood. :) Becca
    This wind today is wicked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWww I love Becca...her delightful work always makes me smile!!The candy corns I looove them!!
    Not to mention..I adore the girl!!
    The cookies..yummmmmmm I copied and pasted this one ..hope that is ok..they looook soooo yummy hon!!
    Hope all is well with you hon..did your package arrive safely??
    Hugs and love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. those make me want to hold the Halloween party this year or at least bring them to the Halloween party this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! A double CANDY CORN treat!!
    And you know how I LOVE me some Candy Corn! :0)

    I have really been enjoying your May Halloween Blog Crawl!
    And I love your new 'look'!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!

Blog Archive