Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Skillet Barbeque Chicken

Today, Mrs. B asked for some quick and easy recipes. VERY good timing, Mrs. B, because my afternoon turned into "one of those days". 

I even had to cut back on my visual aids, but I'm sure that you all will handle it just fine!

This is a family retro recipe, because I've made it for years, and it continues to be an easy, filling meal.

I take four chicken breasts, skin removed and trimmed of fat, and cut them into approximately 1 inch pieces.

Drizzle some of your favorite olive oil in deep fry pan, and brown the chicken on all sides.

Add 1/2 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce, whether it be homemade or from a bottle, and 1/2 cup of your favorite beer.  I've found that a nice dark stout provides a wonderful depth of flavor, and tonight, I used a nice Bock Beer! (You know Spring is on its way when Bock Beer starts showing up on the shelves!)  And what you do with the rest of the bottle is completely up to you! :-)  It is a shame to waste a good beer though, and the cook should get some sort of compensation for all of her hard work!

Then add 1 cup of frozen corn, and 1/4 cup of chopped green pepper.  I deviated from the recipe by chopping up a few roasted red peppers from the jar, that I always keep on hand. (I didn't have any fresh ones, and we like the flavor)

Also add 1 15.5 ounce can of Kidney or Black Beans, that have been thoroughly drained and rinsed. Mix together thoroughly.

Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the chicken is fork tender and juices run clear.

Remove lid, and cook uncovered another 5 minutes or so, until some of the liquid cooks off.

While the chicken was simmering, pop come cornbread into the oven, and make a quick green salad, or buy some shredded cabbage, and mix it with your favorite dressing for a quick slaw.

There's your quick supper!  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!