Monday, February 1, 2010

Recipe Storage

Whew! All sorts of things happening at once! :-)

Mrs. B. is having a retro cooking month over at her Confessions Of a Pagan Soccer Mom, and today, she asked everyone to show their system for storing recipes.

Hers is much like mine, only much neater!

Whether I get them off of the internet (thank you Martha, the Food Network, Cooks Illustrated, and others!),

 and either put them here, {cringe}for future reference, or on my kitchen counter beside my grocery list for immediate use,

Or from some of my too-many-to-count cookbooks that are stashed in various bookcases in the kitchen and dining room.

(excuse the plaster dust. .it is everywhere!!)

If they are successful,  and with added written amendments, they are then typed up in Word, stored, printed, and wind up here!

I've got a series of them, one for general meals, one for soups, one for desserts, one for holiday dishes, etc. and each one has its own graphic and color binder.  But all are put into page protectors.

Several years ago, I spent weeks culling through recipes, picking out each of my kids' favorite recipes, and made them each their own personal cookbook, in the same style, complete with an index.  Since then, if any of them gets another recipe they want to add, they give it to me, I type it up on their personal page, slip it into the plastic sleeve, and give it to them to add to their book.  One of them, who like to collect recipes like her Mom, is on her second volume! :-)

This may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't, and it makes it so much easier for me to lay my hands on a recipe when I want it!

Happy cooking!!


4 comments:

  1. Lol! I have one of those stacks, too! I should have thought to take a picture of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg...you are so much more organized than i am. i have boxes just stuffed with recipes. it's not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you have different books for meals, soups and desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a stack that looks just like that! LOL

    I used to collect (& try) new recipes, but just got so overwhelmed with them that I try to be very selective any more.(And yet, I still have a stack of magazines with recipes I want to try...LOL)
    And Hubby is so patient with some of the 'new' things that I spring on him!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!