Thursday, February 4, 2010

Everything Goes Better With Jello!

Oh my stars!!  Does anyone else remember that slogan? Please say that you do!! lol

As you might have guessed, today is Jello Day at Mrs. B's! This is my offering.

Being a 50's child, I've eaten Jello prepared in so many different ways, I can't remember all of the different recipes.  And to tell you the truth, I don't fix it very much, myself.

But when I do, it is usually for a cookout, or family dinner, and everyone asks for it fixed like this:

There are two versions, one uses cream cheese (yum!), and the other, which is supposed to be a healthier version, but is also good, uses cottage cheese.  And either one is SO simple!

1 Small box of Jello, your favorite flavor
1 Small container of Cool-Whip, thawed
1 Small package of Cream Cheese, OR 1 small container of cottage cheese
Your favorite fruit (yes, you can even use fruit cocktail, 2 cans, drained. Mandarin oranges are a good choice, along with some chunk pineapple)

If you are using the cream cheese version, soften it at room temperature, then pop it into your mixer, or use a hand mixer in a large bowl, and whip it until it is very soft. 

Blend in the cool-whip. 

Add the DRY jello powder, stirring until it is thoroughly mixed through.

While you are doing this, have your fruit in stainer, draining off as much liquid as possible. 

Add your fruit last, folding it into the jello/cheese mixture.  You can serve it immediately, but it is better to let it set up a bit in the refrigerator for a while.

If you are using the cottage cheese version, no need to get out the mixer. It is easily made by hand. 

To cut calories and fat, you can use the low fat or fat free cottage cheese, and ditto for the cool-whip.  It still will taste VERY good!

There's always room for Jello!  (I watched entirely too much TV when I was growing up!)


4 comments:

  1. My Mom and Aunties used to make these jello mold desserts too and I loved them! I still enjoy jello (just plain old jello) every once in a while. It's the taste (and texture!) of childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh my Suzie.....yes I do remember that add...we had jellow with soooo many things...I looove jello! I think I will give this recipe a rip ..yummmm!!
    Do you remember the jello that set in three layers..ohhhh I loved that!!
    Hugs to you my friend, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried this with cream cheese, but I'll have to give it a go! I find it hilarious that anyone else even knows this recipe, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this one with the cottage cheese! I am not really sure why, but I haven't make Jello in a very long time. This brought back some memories. LOL

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!