Friday, January 29, 2010

Foto Friday; Winter

After the frenzied Holiday Season, Winter stretches out before us. Day after day of waking up and as soon as it is light enough to see, looking out the window.  Yup! Still white out there.

This is the time of year when people have a tendency to hibernate. I'll bet you thought that I was one of them. I haven't posted in quite a while. But no, I'm busy sorting, rearranging and moving storage boxes, furniture and other household things in early preparation for the work that needs to be done before my Mom is able to move in here with us.  It isn't fun work either. There isn't a muscle in my body that isn't screaming!  Oh. .wait, that is me! :-)

In my sorting, I found a large binder full of old negatives. .back from before I ever switched over and started using and processing my own slide film.

So, thinking that I had a well earned break coming, I got out my handy-dandy negative to digital converter, and mixed some of the old images in with some newer ones to show you all what I see every day. Those old photos convert to a higher resolution than blogger likes to accept, so I've had to dumb them down quite a bit. I apologize for the quality.

When it gets a little lighter, I look to see how much it snowed during the night, and make a decision as to whether to get out the snow shovel, or snow blower.

After it has snowed heavily for several days and nights, we start hearing this big boy early in the morning. The plows can no longer push the snow back enough, and they have to start using front end loaders to pick up the snow and either dump it further back, or fill up dump trucks and dump it into the ravines.

Sometimes, just to liven things up a bit, we have an ice storm. 

Our local town has an annual ice sculpture contest and festival, but Mother Nature likes to host her own, and no one can beat her creations!

This looks like something out of a horror film crept up and swallowed this poor unsuspecting branch.

Once in a great, great while, we see this strange bright light rising out of the East in the morning. It blinds us so much we can't study it long enough to figure out what it is.

Or we see it dipping into the lake in the evening. But it never thaws the ice pack.

And never, ever on the same day.  Sightings are brief before the clouds once again elbow their way back into our ceiling.

Most of the time, day after day, we simply have gray skies, and snow.

I love Winter, I truly do. I love the flakes, the drifts, the sparkles, and the dark skies, the striking beauty.  I'm used to hearing people grumble, some even beginning back in November, about the impending Winter season.

But by the end of March, when the prettiness has turned to dark, dirty mushy slush, I too am looking forward to this.

Wishing everyone a beautiful weekend! Stay warm, and stay safe!

6 comments:

  1. i love your photos. i love winter and am eagerly awaiting the impending snow storm. where i live we don't get many big storms and usually when it does snow it is only an inch or so and then it disappears within an hour or so
    sorry for the ramble
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful photos.... we enjoyed an ice storm last even and got a wonderful blanket of snow today... I can hardly wait for the sun to come out tomorrow and shed its light on it all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are gorgeous. When I was younger, winter and I were good friends, now not so much.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The pictures are really lovely. I don't think we've experienced an ice storm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You take some of the most wonderful pictures! They speak enormously!
    I can sympathize about not seeing that glorious shiny ball of warmth in the sky during the winter.
    I have come to realize that I don't like the winters in Arkansas. They are just so brown. But I guess that is the trade-off for such a green summer..... I miss the s*n*o*w!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow...beautiful pictures!! i want a storm like that! how did your daughter like all of her things?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!