Saturday, December 19, 2009

Souper Saturday!

It is snowing again, most of the decorating is done, and baking is going to be starting later today, so I decided that a nice big pot of soup would be perfect! It can be simmering while I am doing other things, and I set my timer to remind myself to go and give it a stir every once in a while.  Then into the fridge it goes, to cool down. 

This is one of those soups that is even better after it has chilled, giving the flavors time to blend and get some depth to them when it is reheated.  It can also be successfully frozen, and reheated, with a little extra beef broth. That is, IF you can resist eating it right away! The fragrance is always luscious, and makes your mouth water! :-)

My Hubs is already nosing around the pot, "just giving it a stir", so I have a feeling that this will be for lunch instead of supper.  Even my daughter, who will not touch stuffed green peppers, loves this soup! And corn bread is an excellent choice to eat along with it!

I didn't take detailed photos because this is an easy, straight forward recipe.


Stuffed Green Pepper Soup

2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef
2 Onions, diced
1 - 28 Ounce Can Petite Diced Tomatoes, undrained
1 - 28 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
2 Large Green Peppers, diced
96 Ounces of Beef Broth, either homemade, or purchased.
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
4 Tblsp. Cider Vinegar
1 Teasp. Seasoned Pepper
1 Cup Raw, White Rice
1 Small Bag Frozen Corn


In a large soup pot, brown the ground meat and diced onion.  Drain excess grease from meat.  Quickly add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and green peppers. Add broth. 


Blend in the brown sugar, vinegar, and seasoned pepper. 


Pour in the rice and corn, and bring soup to a gentle boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until rice is cooked and flavors has a chance to blend.

I hope that everyone enjoys this soup as much as we do!

Everyone stay warm, and stay safe! I'm thinking especially of those on the East coast, with all of the snow that is expected!  An excellent day to snuggle in with a bowl of hot soup, and a good book!!




9 comments:

  1. Hearty soup is such a comfort food, isn't it? Mmmm, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to see that I am not the only one that sets a timer to remember something. LOL This soup looks like something that I am going to have to try. You are probably right about it being lunch and not supper.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very interesting. I think I'll add it to my "to try" list. :)
    Enjoy the snow and baking!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a bowl of soup on a cold wintry day! I am definitely going to have to try this - stuffed green peppers are my Hubby's favorite.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey sweetie..how are ya. Oh this looks heavenly..I do adore soup of almost any kind!!
    What a great post..I love cooking posts..always looking for some new yummy thing! I think I did!! Hope your holidays are joyous and you are well hon!
    Hoping now that the holiday art season has calmed down a bit..I will have more time to visit!! I love that you are in the group and thanks for popping by my Bee hon!! Happy holdays my friend, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will be making this, I love soup!
    Wishing you a wonderful holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds delicious. Hope you had a lovely Christmas.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the winter, soup is the lunch of choice at Linderhof! Often, we have a soup pot on the stove, dibs and dabs of leftovers go into it so it is always different but always good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!