Monday, November 16, 2009

Let's Bake!!!

Yes! As promised, we are back in the kitchen! Normally, I try out new,   special, recipes throughout the year, being the test as to whether it is worthy of being added to the "official" holiday cookie & candy trays, but this year, I wasn't able to do that. Until today, when I tried one that according to Hubs, should be a new addition.

And normally, I wouldn't introduce a new recipe here, without trying it out myself first, but I felt SO sure about this one, I decided that we could take this journey together.


This cookie recipe is for Andes Mint Cookies.  The recipe can also be found in the back of the book that I mentioned this morning, along with a number of other very yummy sounding recipes! I know there are at least two others that I want to try!

These cookies make the Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies, go hide in the cupboard. They are THAT good!


In a heavy saucepan, over low heat, blend together 3/4 cup of butter, 1 1/2 cups of firmly packed dark brown sugar, and 2 Tblsp. of water, stirring gently until all of the butter is melted.  Remove from heat, and stir in 2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. (My Hubs isn't overly fond of semi-sweet, so I used one cup of the semi-sweet, and one cup of Ghiradelli's Double Chocolate chips instead.  If you don't like rich chocolate at all, you could try using milk chocolate chips instead, but you won't have the same intensity, which is what you may want!


Pour the mixture into a large mixer bowl and let stand 10 minutes to cool slightly.  With the mixer on high speed, beat in 2 eggs, 1 at a time.  Reduce speed to low and add in 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 Teasp. baking soda, and 1/2 Teasp. salt, that have been blended together in another bowl. I find a whisk is a handy little tool for this, with no mess. Beat just until blended.  Chill dough 1 hour for easier handling.


Use this time to unwrap all of the pieces of two boxes of Andes Creme de Menthe mints. Keep a third one handy because you will be using a portion of it. ( And no! I didn't sample any candy! I'm SO proud of myself! And that little pinch of deliciously rich cookie dough that I did sample was for testing purposes only. There was no instant gratification involved, whatsoever!)





Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. (I love the non-stick version!) Roll dough into small, (about 1 inch) balls;  place them 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake 12 - 13 minutes, no longer!


Cookies will crisp as they cool.  Remove from oven and immediately place a mint over each cookie. 


Allow it to soften, then swirl over top.  If desired, decorate with chocolate sprinkles.  Remove from cookie sheets and cool.  Frosting will harden once it cools.  

This recipe makes about 80 cookies.  And yes, they are rich, but oh, so good!


And what did I learn from this first batch, that I would do differently next time? Well for one thing, I wouldn't come in here during that hour, and get involved reading friend's blogs, because the dough got very stiff during that time, and my hands got a major workout rolling it into the balls. :-) I do have a cookie dough scoop, and that helped tremendously!

Other than that, everything went very smoothly, and I'm very pleased with how they came out!

I hope that you enjoy making them too, and that your pleasure eating them is even greater!


6 comments:

  1. Oh wow do those look yummy! Maybe this weekend I will get a chance to make them. Thanks for sharing all of the details.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. i must make these... i love andes mints, chocolate...well what's not to love in this recipe. thanks for sharing
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look positively evil! And yes I have to try them out. I know both my boys would love "helping" me with the mints :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite combo (followed closely by chocolate and peanut butter!) I love choc-mint anything! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sound so yummy! I must give them a try...
    I admire your self-restraint about not tasting a mint before hand. Not sure I could've been that good!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzie-

    Thank you for posting this recipe. I bookmarked it, and my husband made us a batch earlier this week. They are SO good! Normally I do the baking, but my husband has recently showed an interest, and this one was easy for him to do!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!