Monday, October 5, 2009

Just Humming Along


A small part of me finds some bittersweet humor in this brief story, while the major part is now just plain concerned. I just came in from planting a Beauty Berry Bush, and spreading some newspapers and mulch around the area.

Some of you may have previously read that I had a pink streak put in the top front of my hair as a donation, and in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

So, I'm down on my hands and knees, evenly spreading the black bark mulch, and I hear this humming sound. Not like any bees, but a higher pitched, steadier buzz. .I lift my eyes, but not my head, and what do I see, not even an inch away from me, but a female Ruby Throated Hummingbird, apparently coming in to see if that pink streak has any nectar in it.

That poor little bird doesn't have a lot of natural food sources left, and it should have already migrated. We haven't seen any around here for a couple of weeks now, and the nights are getting pretty chilly. I'm hoping that it will be on its way. There is always a debate going on as to whether to keep hummingbird feeders out for the migrants going through, or if by leaving them out, you are enticing them to stay when they should be moving on.

We always have so many blooming plants that they love, we haven't put out the artificial feeders for several years now, and it usually works out quite well. .as the plants are dying back, the Hummers start to move on. But this year has been so strange, I'm not surprised to see one still lingering.

I'm hoping that there are more around, that I just haven't seen, and that they are all gearing up for their long trip. In the meantime, I guess I'll wear a hat whenever I am working in the garden, so that one won't waste time checking out my hair!

3 comments:

  1. Suzie,
    That's awesome to have one so close - let's hope he moves on now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't know if I would've freaked and starting to scream, or been calm. Poor little guy I bet he sure was hungry. There really aren't to many flowers out here for them, but it's nice to see one in my folks back yard they have planted many orchids for them :0)

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome to have one so close to you. Love the picture! But I do hope he moves on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!