Sunday, October 25, 2009

Hubby's Turn

No, he isn't going to be doing any posting. He says that it is better left to me, but I'm going to show the JOL's that he has done for the past few years.

I used to carve real pumpkins, and he would never get in on the fun.  He never carved them as a kid, and ever the practical person, thought that it was a waste of a perfectly good pumpkin! (What he ever saw in me, I'll never know, but I swear that I was brought into his life to try and bring out the kid in him and show him that it is ok to have some fun in life)

But when Funkins were introduced, and when I pointed out that we could keep his hard work from year to year, he was intrigued.  Then, when I showed him patterns, and how he could apply them, I knew he was snagged!  He is actually doing three this year, which I'll show you later. He is planning on finishing them up today.  One is a pattern that I picked out, and we'll see if you can figure out which of the three it is. .but until then, here are the ones that he has carved in past years:

This was the first one.  He wanted to do a simple one to see how he liked carving them.  He still gets lots of oooh's and aaah's when kids come to trick or treat.


The next year, after he was through carving, realized that he put this guy's ears on the front on his head, and was going to throw it away, but I pointed out that especially at Halloween, you are going to see all sorts of characters, and not all of them look like we do!  And maybe this guy liked looking at who or what he was hearing, and vice versa!  



Then he decided to do a happy face, and came up with this design.  We have a CD that you can put on your computer, with face parts so that you can design your own. 


The next one he did looks rather forlorn, like everyone is putting rocks in his trick or treat bag!

That same year, he carved his first message pumpkin.







After that, they started getting a little darker, a little scarier!


Like a Vampire!  And a skull!



But then my sweetie carved this one for me, last year!  Not so spooky, but I love her!

I think that my darlin' hubs is making up for lost time, in fine fashion!

Wishing you a "Perfect Pumpkin" Day!

17 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are fantastic! I love the vampire, bat, cat. It's great to be able to keep them and add to your collection every year. I do all the carving around here. We roast the seeds so for now I use the real ones. I'll have to get some funkins to try!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them JOL's! Woohoo!!! Let's have a pumpkin carving party <{:O)

    ~A~

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! Your Hubby is quite talented. They're all really good, but my fav is the Kitty. Can't wait to see this year's crop.

    Happy Haunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are wonderful! He really has a talent for carving the pumpkins... I just love the kitten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Ed They are fantastic and naturally I am jealous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how fun! They all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're all terrific! Of course I especially like the cat one too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, is there anything lovlier than the light of a JOL? Those are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I think I like the cat the best, no the vampire, or...he did a great job, I'm inspired to start Carving, mine, a real one.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. we're doing our first pumpkin this year, I've got a special lamp oil we'll be using to light our lantern too, the oil burns green

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzie, your hubby is very talented. My favorites are the Vampire, Skull, Cat, and Trick or Treat!!! I love how he is adding new ones each year to the collection. What a great collection to have!!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! They are all just fantastic! He does a wonderful job!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss having a Jack O'Lantern (seems rather pointless in an apartment tower), so we are using our pumpkins for cooking this year. Those are very well-carved JOL's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cool! I've never carved one of those but now I want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These jack-o-lanterns are way cool! It's hard to pick the one I like the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful job on the pumpkins, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are great! I've never used a Funkin - but I can really see the draw - especially when you have great designs like these!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!