Friday, October 9, 2009

Fungi Friday

It has been raining steadily all day, and the fragrance of wet leaves teases your nose when you venture outside. 

That aroma immediately transports me to all of the hours that I've spent in the woods, on my knees and stomach, taking photos of the various fungi that sprout in Spring, and Autumn, enticed on by the moist conditions.

I love photographing fungi.  They don't quiver in the slightest breeze, they offer a delightful array of colors, textures and line, and they never run away!

As long as you are willing to contort yourself, getting down to their level, you are rewarded with a perfect subject/model!

These are all way back from my archives.  Some are slides, some are even negatives of prints, from a long, long time ago!  It was a nice trip down memory lane.

This image is one of the first ones that I ever took with a 35 mm SLR, back in the 70's.  Wow, how much time has passed.  That slug must have a lot of gray hair by now!












This fungi had been knocked completely upside down by a curious critter, who delighted in nibbling on all of the edges.








The correct color of the Chanterelles!Yes! They really are THAT bright and beautiful!  Layers upon layers of huge orange & gold fungi!




And sometimes, the color and texture is in the stem.  Some fungi go through a series of changes, so that they are different colors, at different stages of maturity.  If I had found these when they were a bit younger, they would have had a distinct blue cast to them.















Sometimes they look so soft, delicate and almost transluscent.















And other times, so sturdy, and so deadly.

When you go out to look at the beautiful foliage, remember to look down, and watch where you step, too. You may be treated to the Faerie's Autumn playground!



Wishing everyone a beautiful weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I love the first one and the last one is very intriguing. Great pictures!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are great. I always wondered how some fairies could live in fungi, and this shows me why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hon..I am with you -love love lvoe doing fungi!! Love the little slug!! So cute! Wonderful shots!! So wonderful to see your photos hon - stunning!! Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really Beautiful Mushroom pics. ! I have a blog award for you over at mine! :) Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures, nature sure does provide us with wonderful sites if we just take the time to look.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your fungi photos! It brings back memories of mushroom hunting while I was studying mycology in college. I was really into it for awhile. I would bring them home if I couldn't identify them and hunt through my books for a match. There was one that was black and gray that I was never able to identify. I never took photos back then!

    They would quickly deteriorate and all the bugs would come out of hiding. I don't mind bugs but it made me think twice about eating fungi sometimes. I never get out and hike in the woods anymore...what a shame.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!