Friday, April 10, 2009

Updates & SAL's

Everything has been a little busy around here with extra appointments and such, so I haven't gotten a lot of stitching done. Certainly not what I'd like to do. And admittedly, I would get more done, if I didn't spend as much time enjoying everyone blogs, but that is both fun and inspiring, so it is time well spent!

I'm enjoying all of the updates that everyone is posting on the Our Friends HAED SAL, but feel a little. .no, a lot behind everyone else. I finally bit the bullet and admitted that the fabric that I had purchased for the QS Iris was not making it fun, so I've ordered a different kind, and am waiting for it to arrive. Then I start all over again. But hopefully, this time it will be more fun!

And I'm still whiffling about the fabric for my Monopoly Board pattern. I didn't want to stitch it on white Aida, but the flax that I bought didn't work out at all. So now I'm back to square one. I know there lots of other options, but I need to think it over before making another purchase.

On the plus side, loving Halloween like I do, I joined a Halloween SAL blog, Spooky Stitchers. The members there have posted a lot of cute projects. Halloween is so much fun!! There is something about the "old" primitive Halloween decorations that I love, and collect. So the primitive stitching patterns seem to draw my attention to work on, more than the others. Bu they all make me smile! The one that I just started, The Giving Sisters, is a touch of primitive, and a touch of whimsy, which is just perfect!

I'm having some additional fun with it too, using a custom dyed fabric "Days Gone By", from Silkweavers, and I bought a bunch of custom threads from Weeks Dye Works, Crescent Colours, and The Gentle Art Sampler Threads, to mix in with the DMC threads. I'm just getting started on it!

Then, I had discovered YoYo's blog while back and was enjoying her current entries, but in one of those serendipitous moments, was informed from someone else, just about the time that I was making the same discovery, that YoYo is hosting the Totally Useless SAL. Something that I think is completely do-able for me! I'm just sorry now that I have been tossing all of those snippets of thread and grideline! And all of those DMC bands!!! Ah well, my cats had claimed those as theirs anyway. But now I've got to find a cute jar, and start saving orts. I've joined so late, there isn't any way that I'll catch up to everyone else, but it will be fun to see just how much thread is tossed away!

And so where is Agneatha fitting into all of this? Right now, she is still my pet project. I'm using a larger set of Q-snaps, so it looks like I've gotten even less done that I have completed. This one is still a pleasure to be stitching, and I feel so torn if I pick up my Halloween piece. I wonder if it would be possible to learn to stitch two different projects with each hand at the same time! lol Nah. .plus, this way, my enjoyable stitching time is stretched out longer!
And my final thoughts for now, are on another SAL. I've discovered long ago, that I mainly stitch Autumn/Halloween subjects, or Winter/Holiday patterns, whether by desire, or with the realistic vision to know that it is going to take me months to get a project done! lol I stitch other subjects, mainly for other people, but my own personal preferences seem to fall within those parameters. I've thought about hosting a SAL to encompass those focused interests, but don't know if there are enough other stitchers that share the same passions or not. There are already so many wonderful blog SAL's out there, and I don't want everyone to be stretched so thin that it isn't fun anymore. Something for me to ponder. . . .
I hope that everyone has a wonderful day! Try and do something that you enjoy, just for the fun of it!!


5 comments:

  1. Suzie - sorry for the fabric not working out. Hopefully the next one will be better. I do know how you feel about being behind on the HAED SAL. But everyone goes their own pace and sometimes that's just the way it is. :) Good luck with the Monopoly board. I decided to go with the Waterlily jobelan (evenweave), but I haven't started yet. I can't say enough how Agneatha's colors are just so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzie I think Agneatha is gorgeous, I really like the colors in it. I love stitching holiday stuff too so thanks for the link to spooky stitchers and to YoYo's blog. It'll be fun to see how many orts I toss. :) Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info on the Halloween SAL and I'm thinking of joining the Totally Usless SAL too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzie, what kind of guidelines were you thinking of for the SAL? Would it be along the lines of Spooky Stitchers SAL? Have you decided on a theme?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for asking, Sue. I'm still swaying back and forth on the idea. I was thinking along the lines of patterns with themes of General Autumn, Halloween, Thanksgiving, General Winter, and any of the holidays that are celebrated during the month of December. It would be a SAL format with people joining, and sharing their projects. They could be smalls, like ornies, or complex pieces, or anything in-between.
    But there is already the Spooky Stitchers, and I'm hoping that more people get involved posting because that is what makes it fun.

    And there is a year around Christmas ornie SAL, but I think that is filled already (you can only have 100 people, max in a group blog) and probably a lot more that I don't know about. I just don't want to stretch people too thin so that it is a chore to post, or they duplicating their posts so much, that mutual followers are seeing the same thing in several blogs.

    I also thought about expanding it to include other forms of fiber and thread arts, so that we could have the opportunity to learn something new from our friends. But then that might be too overwhelming.

    As you can see, I have a lot going on in my mind, back and forth, and nothing is quite gelling yet.

    Any thoughts on the subject(s) is welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I love reading your comments, and hope that you will come back again! The tea kettle is always bubbling perfectly, the cookies freshly baked, and the door is always open!